Give Yourself a Day Off

I can’t tell you how many times I have worked and worked until I couldn’t remember the last day off I had. Yes, I know the hustle is real and we are all grinding away until that one day we won’t have to work as hard or as often. I always say, “Work hard now, so I won’t have to later.” Well, it is a good philosophy, but you don’t want to get burnt out. That can actually backfire in the long run. I’m not suggesting you need to take a two week international vacation every couple of months–just a day here and there can make a huge difference.

You can always make more money, but you can’t go back and take that trip you missed out on or have that experience you opted out of.

my wise mother, Author and Life Coach, Sheri Kaye Hoff

You need to be there.

I know it’s hard to accept–because I always freak out when I request days off–but you shouldn’t miss your cousins wedding or your best friends baby shower. I use those examples because I have missed out on both of those occasions before, AND I have really regretted it. Be there. Take the time off. You’ll love reflecting on those stories of sharing Old Dutch chips and Top the Tater in a glass elevator with the wedding party after the wedding or holding hands with your best friends nephew you had never met before. Those are just two of the many occasions that I can look back on and smile at the memories because I actually showed up.

Although you may just be one of the many people there, your cousin appreciated how you assisted setting up flowers and your best friend valued how you helped plan and organize. Be there. Show up. And make memories. Otherwise, what are you working so hard for?

You need a change of pace.

I always get into a groove when I am used to a routine and I love it! I am very plan oriented when it comes to work despite the fact that I work in a very unpredictable industry. I like knowing what to expect for the most part and I am familiar with the people I see regularly. However, doing the same thing over and over again gets old. You need to shake it up sometimes.

It is so worth it to get off your feet… or on (for those of you who are very familiar with an office). Go somewhere isolated or somewhere flooded with crowds of people. Change up your normal routine and change your scenery.

You (probably) need to get out of town.

Like I said before, you don’t need to go intercontinental, but a weekend away can work wonders for your emotional, physical, and mental health. Get in touch with nature or explore one of the hottest concrete jungles. Just step away long enough to miss your own bed.

Vacations are always kind of scary to me because, as some of you know, I can get turned off by the idea that I’m using my time to spend money rather than earn it. Not to mention, I get affected majorly by vacation-brain. Nonetheless, life is too short to miss out on girls trips and family trips to Mexico for fear of missing out on money you have your whole life to earn.

So get outta town! You won’t regret that week by the beach or skiing in the mountains.

Personal days are a real thing.

I remember one Monday morning in college, I woke up and couldn’t stand up beyond maybe one hundred degrees. You see, I had been nursing some lower back pains for weeks while clocking 50+ hours a week at work and going to campus almost daily. That’s maintainable, right? But when your body is in pain, that’s its way of trying to tell you it needs a break. So, that particular morning I had to schedule chiropractor and massage appointments, communicate to my professors that I had to miss class, and get my evening shift covered. Had I taken maybe one of those weekend days off to address my increasing pain, I may never had gotten to that point of immobilization. BUT, preventive care is a whole other issue…

I just wish I would have taken a day off to relax before I HAD to take a day off. So learn from my mistake, because I sure have! Take a day to hang out by the pool, have some spa treatments, and give your mind and body a break.

You have the rest of your life to work, so don’t sweat a small break.

What are your favorite ways to get a small break or pamper yourself?

Comment, like, and share!

XO,

Sonja Hoff

1. Thank you for quoting me. Your topic is on point and I love your pic of Lady

2. Reblogged this on Biz and Life Coach Dr. Sheri Kaye Hoff and commented:
    Great thoughts on giving yourself time to refresh.

3. lambamsworld says:

Thank you for sharing this great piece and I must say I learnt a great deal from your post . We all need to take a step back in life and have a quality deserved break .

4. Totally agree with you! Time off is such a necessity! Whether is from work or social media, time off is a MUST! Loved this post!

5. Totally agree with you! Time off is such a necessity! Whether is from work or social media, time off is a MUST! Loved this post!

6. Viano Dee says:

All these are so true. I do need a break. I do need personal days. I need my me time. Life shouldn’t always be about work. Thanks for this.

7. This is so true. I have been through this many times and then ended up regretting not taking off and attending that particular marriage or trip with family. The events/trips comes once in a life time and we have work that will go on untill our life ends. So we need to take break and enjoy the moments that will help us to get refresh to combat back to work with full energy.

8. Madi Rowan says:

Time off is so needed! If we don’t make time to recharge ourselves, it becomes difficult to take care of everything & everyone else!

-Madi xo | http://www.everydaywithmadirae.com

9. sn1463 says:

This is so so so important. I forget to take time for myself all the time because I’m always trying to keep up with everyone. But you have to take care of yourself first.

1. Sonja Hoff says:

Yes! You can’t pour from an empty cup!

10. Taking breaks and pampering – years back these didn’t happen to often. . Like many people, I was living with the stress of a “busy badge” without much time for relaxation and pleasure. But a number of years back now, I got tired of the standard 9-5 grind (or 8-7 grind). I found a way to transfer my “day job” skills into an online business that allowed me the freedom the travel. Not too long after, my husband joined me. Since then we have created a work-travel lifestyle. I still take days off, and also make “time-out” as part of my daily routine. But we don’t seem to need to long vacations like we used to. Life is more about enjoying the moments, and I am an advocate for setting up your life according to what you really want and what suits you as a unique individual (not what society tells us we should have/be/do).

1. Sonja Hoff says:

Totally agree! Glad you are doing what you love and giving yourself some down time!

11. Jennie Mayes says:

Yes, this is so much the truth. I am bad about still doing work online even when on vacation or taking a day off. I have been focusing recently on completely taking the day off and not feeling like I always have to live in that hustle. This reminder came at just the perfect time because I am going on a birthday weekend getaway with my husband this weekend!

1. Sonja Hoff says:

It’s so hard when you can work from your phone, too! Enjoy your weekend away!

12. jaynaylee says:

I definitely agree it’s always important to give yourself a day off to relax and unwind! Self care is so important!

13. athomewithmomma says:

I totally agree! There are some days you don’t feel like doing anything. There are also times you just want to get out of town for the day and those days are definitely needed and so beneficial.

14. Tren B. says:

I spent over a year parenting, working, etc without my husband. We have finally reunified. And I’ll tell you… I have learned to sit down and do nothing (most of it by force Bc I’m new to the area). But either way, it is well deserved.

15. Krista says:

I loved your article. Seriously, I do 100% agree with your statements. I feel just like “sick time” we need “mental health days”. We just feel so guilty asking for the time off, or the employers make us feel bad for requesting the time off. I recently had an employer who made me CANCEL my honeymoon after my time off was already approved. So now I finally quit my job.

1. Sonja Hoff says:

Wow! That is extreme! Good to hear you left any kind of job that would make you cancel your honeymoon!

16. Such great advice I think we all need a break from our routines, even this guy, LOL!

17. Luna S says:

I’ve learned that I need to have just a “Rest” day where I sit around and don’t really do anything, otherwise I get burnt out, tired, cranky and moody from spreading myself too thin. I think a giving yourself a day off is a wonderful idea!

18. tcleland88 says:

Mental health is important, and every now and then, you need a break. I was excited to see this year’s school calendar–we actually have a day off every single month! Those few days help keep you going!